At Houston Methodist, the Sr. Network Engineer position is responsible for leading routine and complex installation, testing, analysis and support of all elements of the network facilities (including power, communications machinery, software, lines, modems, and terminals), ensuring stable network performance. Independently monitors and controls performance and status of the network resources. Utilizes software and hardware tools, identifies and diagnoses problems and factors affecting network performance. Possesses and applies a expert knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures related to network technologies, to the completion of moderately difficult assignments. Troubleshoots networking and operating systems problems, providing technical assistance and resolution. Independently assesses network needs and designs solutions that conform to corporate standards for projects.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information. (EF)
- Supports ITIL processes to help promote others to follow and conform to applicable policies, procedures, and processes. (EF)
- Leads internal and external projects and/or problem resolution tasks. (EF)
SERVICE - 35%
- Administers all assigned network and/or UC technologies. Maintains and Supports core and data center layer technologies. (EF)
- Leads and/or coordinates multiple technology projects including organization wide Network, Unified Communication (UC), Cabling, Audio/Visual, and new construction. (EF)
- Resolve complex network issues related but not limited to WAN, LAN, Voice, and other infrastructure related problems (EF).
- Serves as a mentor to junior staff (EF).
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Leads quality control testing, policy implementation, and assists in training more junior staff. Assists in diagramming and design of network infrastructure (EF)
- Provides problem resolution, technical analyses, costs and resource estimates, work plans, workflow documentation, and progress reports on assigned projects. (EF)
- Document network designs, problems, root cause analysis, and disaster plans and makes recommendations for improvement.(EF)
- Tunes network systems to achieve optimal performance and reliability. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Role models good time management, good assessment in professional decision making, and recommends solutions that minimize cost(s) and align with organizational objectives. Helps minimize cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving organizational objectives. (EF)
- Supports department leadership in the development of Bill of Materials for projects and tech refreshes. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Stays abreast of emerging technology trends and s out innovative technologies that provide solutions to new ideas, trends, and concepts and improve workflow, production, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Proactively manages own professional development and completes Individual Development Plan (IDP)(EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Minimum 6 years experience of progressive data network engineering experience. Healthcare and Project Management experience preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- CCIE recommended. CCNP or other Network professional certification required. If a Sr. Network Engineer candidate has previously held a professional certification that is currently expired they must recertify within 6 months of hire.
Once proof of initial certification requirements are cleared, further tracking of certification is not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Expert understanding of subnetting, VLAN's, and address schemas.
- Expert knowledge of networking concepts.
- Expert experience with PCs, servers, and Cisco network switches and VOIP.
- Expert knowledge of routing. (ie gateway, subnet mask, RIP, EIGRP, IGRP)
- Expert understanding of DNS, DHCP, and WINS protocols.
- Expert understanding of WAN protocols.
- Expert understanding of Voice protocols.
Work Attire Yes/No Uniform No Scrubs No Business professional No Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No of Houston Metropolitan area
*Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist is one of the nation's leading health systems and academic medical centers. Houston Methodist consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston area. Houston Methodist also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, Houston Methodist employs more than 27,000 employees and is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide high quality patient care.
To apply for this position you will complete an application form on another website provided by or on behalf of Houston Methodist. Please note ComputerJobs - Texas Jobs is not responsible for the application process on any external website.