Project Engineer I
El Paso, TX 79912 US (Primary)
Up to 50%
INTRODUCTION Souder, Miller & Associates (SMA) Growing, Succeeding and Designing Our Future Together
We are looking for future team members who are excited to make an impact. As an employee-owned company,
we are dedicated to the betterment of our clients, our communities, and our employees. Your contribution is key to the quality of service SMA delivers. Throughout your career with SMA, there will be opportunities for you to improve the skills you need to achieve your professional goals. We encourage you to explore innovative ways to develop solutions while collaborating with team members inside and outside the organization by providing the framework for you to find success.
We don't just talk about being client-focused; the engineers, scientists, surveyors, technicians and other professionals at SMA live and breathe it. After all, we are members of the communities we help.
Security Clearance Required
Job Description SUMMARY:
Souder, Miller & Associates is recruiting for a Project Engineer I for our General Civil tech sector. The position is located in our El Paso TX office and/or Las Cruces, NM office. This position requires a bachelors and/or master's degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of 4 years of experience post-graduation. The preferred candidate will be a member of a professional organization and have a Texas P.E and/or New Mexico P.E. registration. The Project Engineer I is responsible for planning, designing and directing projects locally and/or remotely on a corporate and/or local level. The Project Engineer I position requires the ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, design plans and governmental regulations as well as the ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. These abilities must also translate into the effective presentation of information and response to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. The Project Engineer I position typically has a balanced exposure internally (employees) and externally (clients/regulators), but also can be focused on an area of specific technical discipline. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and monitor budgets for assigned projects; has direct responsibility for the profitability of assigned projects.
- Responsible for monitoring and managing work-in-process, accurate and timely client billings, outstanding accounts receivable and collection efforts on assigned projects.
- Responsible for project and team schedules, and timely completion of assigned projects. o Prepare and monitor forecast of workload for any assigned staff.
- Prepare or direct preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, studies and/or designs for project.
- Develop, analyze and provide peer review on reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests and/or aerial photographs for quality assurance and to plan and/or design projects.
- May use computer assisted engineering, technical and/or design software and equipment to prepare simple to complex engineering, analysis and design documents.
- Supervise and monitor client relationship strategies; is the primary client contact for assigned clients.
- Develop and review pricing, estimating, scoping and marketing strategies for assigned projects.
- In coordination with the direct supervisor and possibly TS Director/Manager, develop and provide peer review of contract agreements for assigned projects o Executes agreements with value-limited signatory authority.
- Attend client meetings, day or night; ability to complete overnight travel unassisted, occasionally extending five or more consecutive nights.
- Visit project site(s) to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents as the registered professional of record.
- Under the direction of the direct supervisor and in coordination with the MS Director/Manager, manage specific marketing responsibilities with clients to obtain work for the firm.
- Develop peer-to-peer communication skills locally and intra-office.
- Develop technical skill relevant to area(s) of practice.
- Recognize and operate within limitations while seeking advice as needed.
- Advance awareness of potential liabilities associated with the technical aspects of the area of expertise.
- May be designated as responsible for development and enforcement of onsite health and safety plan administration (relative to SMA employees).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able and willing to frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Health, Dental, Vision, 401K, ESOP, Life/ADD/Short Term/Long Term Insurance, Voluntary Insurance, FSA, Dependent Care.
- Wellness program for employees, flexible work schedule, ID Theft Protection.
- Paid Time Off, Jury Duty Pay.
- Education Reimbursement and Professional dues.
EEOC STATEMENT WHY SOUDER, MILLER & ASSOCIATES:
SMA has been inspiring engineers, surveyors, and scientists to deliver innovative solutions since 1985. SMA is the third largest engineering firm in New Mexico. Whether it is designing public roads and interstates, threading fiber-optic conduits in between underground utilities across an urban intersection, choosing the most effective method to remediate contaminated soil, master planning mixed development, or ensuring access to safe drinking water by identifying water sources and operating treatment facilities, our employees demonstrate their commitment to our clients by building a partnership and investing in the success of every project. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of SMA to afford equal employment to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, gender identity, spousal affiliation or veteran status, and to conform to all applicable laws and regulations. The Company is fully committed to this concept and all personnel are expected to actively participate in the implementation of these policies.
$35.00 - $41.00 ( Project Engineer I )
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate engineering or science.
- Minimum 4 years of experience required post-graduation.
- Professional/Occupational licensure required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and able to pass the drug test.