- Coordinates and designs or assists in design of control related projects. Projects involve specification, purchase and maintenance of various systems, computers, networking and/or peripheral equipment, design of controls or approval of contractor's design, coordination with instrumentation engineers on instrument hardware and configuration required for control and commissioning of refinery controls, and coordination with operators on control design and implementation.
- Maintains existing supervisory controls to keep controls in operation and configured or tuned optically for unit configuration or dynamic changes.
- Recommends changes to process control design to improve unit operation or as required for advanced control projects.
- Specifies and designs control systems to enhance or to solve unit problems, including hardware and software.
- Develops plans for future control work and associated computer systems, equipment and software based on economics and necessity.
- Stays up to date on technology in control and computer hardware/software to effectively plan for future projects and upgrade of equipment.
- Responsible for updating program changes in computer software to support field instrument modifications/additives.
- Designs control systems and process systems to ensure safe and effective operation.
- Supports equipment maintenance of Foxboro DCS, Modicon PLC, and Triconex PLC, and supports logic functions of Modicon and Triconex.
- Develops five-year plan for instrument and control systems upgrade projects
- Troubleshoots instrument problems for Operations, Maintenance, and Engineering. Designs, implements, and maintains Safety Instrumental Systems. Evaluates and implements new instrument technologies.
- Checks P&ID's for correct instrumentation/controls and conformance to Valero standards for change management and project work.
- Specifies and installs computer equipment or selects vendors to provide the best solution to a problem or project.
- Monitors networks daily to ensure best performance. If problems arise, determine cause and solution.
- Ensures computers are operating efficiently, are secure, and are maintained.
This position is salaried exempt status, which means you are not eligible for overtime pay. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or higher level degree in Engineering required.
- 2 years of engineering experience in Process Control Systems and/or Control Systems Engineering with one year of DCS control experience required.
- Bachelor's or higher level degree in Electrical or Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Process engineering experience preferred.
All successful candidates must be eligible to obtain a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential). It is Valero's policy that employees must wear this card at all times while working at the refinery. Please review eligibility criteria at
Position level and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Valero's employees are the heart of its success, and there is a reason why the company is an employer of choice in the fuels manufacturing and marketing industry. It's not just the excellent benefits package, or the opportunities for personal growth, it's also the caring and committed culture of the organization that makes everyone feel like they're truly part of a team. For more information, visit
Valero is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected status, including race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Please be advised, if you are viewing this position on a website that lists an estimated salary rate/range, it was not provided by Valero. Valero's market specific salary rate/range will be provided during the recruiting process and tends to be higher than what is estimated by such websites.
Engineering Primary Location:
US-TX-Corpus Christi Job Posting:
Mar 7, 2023, 12:47:06 PM Unposting Date:
Ongoing Req ID: