Everything we do at Sunrun is driven by a determination to transform the way we power our lives. We know that starts at the individual employee level. We strive to foster an environment you can thrive in through our commitment to diversity, inclusion and belonging.
The Sunrun Software Product Management team plays a critical role in our company's success by collectively owning and evolving our industry leading software products, including our e-commerce platform, point of sale platform, and customer-facing app. These products are powered by domain-level innovations across the customer experience - from solar energy system design and payments, to communications and our data platform, and everything in between.
Sunrun is transforming our tech stack top-to-bottom to accelerate our company and enable new, innovative new business models. We are looking for a Director of Technical Product Management (TPM) for Data Platform, Enterprise Apps and IT Operations who will be accountable for driving the vision, definition and delivery for major parts of this transition. This leader will oversee a core set of technical domains, including Data Platform (responsible for GCP to AWS migration and enablement of our Grid Services business), Data Analytics, ERP (responsible for migration to Oracle Cloud), Security and Internal Tools. This role will report directly to the VP of Technical Product Management.
If you are looking to apply your technical product leadership experience to address climate change and drive the decarbonization of millions of homes, this is the right role for you.
As the Director of TPM for Data Platform, Enterprise Apps and IT Operations, you will have the opportunity to lead a team of TPMs and drive the definition and delivery of a best-in-class set of experiences across a group of technical domains. Your scope will be broad and deep, requiring excellent technical chops and business judgment to formulate and execute the right roadmap within the Data Platform, Enterprise Apps and IT Operations domain group, and strong leadership, teamwork and process-orientation to ensure your domain group's roadmap is continuously in-sync with the needs of our business and experience layer products (eg: our e-commerce platform, customer-app, etc.).
You and your team will leverage consumer insights, market needs, and an understanding of our cross-channel go-to-market, fulfillment processes, and product set (including financial products and grid services) to define and evaluate new products and features. Your team will also spearhead cross-functional launches, define & drive success metrics, and improve our products over time.
As the Director of TPM for Data Platform, Enterprise Apps and IT Operations, you will work closely with senior stakeholders and top executives across the business, incl. Engineering, Finance, Supply Chain, Operations, Customer Care and Experience Layer Product Leaders (eg: customer app, point of sale platform, e-commerce). Due to the highly interdisciplinary nature of this role, and the cross-functional impact of the changes you will drive, you will need to be a respected leader who can effectively communicate, collaborate and coalition-build. The Director of TPM role is among the most challenging and rewarding at Sunrun. We are looking for a highly talented and driven individual who is excited to take on this challenge.
- Owns the vision, productization and results delivery for Sunrun's Data Platform, Enterprise Apps and IT Operations domains, incl. our next gen data platform, next gen ERP and Grid Services platform. Has a mission to redefine what it means to have the best data platform in the industry, improving value for Sunrun, our customers and our partners.
- Formulates new, innovative ideas to enhance our platform and end-to-end experience (incl. both external-facing experience and internal-facing operations). Builds buy-in from stakeholders and leaders, and aligns cross-functional teams, around a domain-level roadmap that ladders up to our company roadmap. Ensures that our company and their team executes against their domain-level roadmap with excellence.
- Runs high performing, collaborative cross-functional teams. Creates a winning, results oriented, human-centered culture. Drives their teams and peers to execute with excellence, continuously grow their skills, act like the CEOs and stewards of their products, and treat each other with respect and compassion.
- Possesses enough commercial and technical depth, particularly within the data platform domain, to effectively guide effort vs. impact tradeoffs in collaboration with engineers, engineering managers, peer TPMs and product leadership.
- Serves as a champion of Sunrun's customers. Pushes boundaries to unearth customer needs and deliver value based on novel understanding and insight.
- Evangelizes domain vision, strategy and roadmap with various functional groups across Sunrun and drives excitement across the organization
- Education: Bachelor's degree (or equivalent). Computer science degree strongly desired.
- Experience: Minimum of 8+ years of Product experience, with 3+ years in a technical product leadership role owning multiple Data Platform or ERP-related domains or functional areas. No solar experience needed.
- Leadership: Inspires trust and confidence with executives, our cross-functional peers and our team. Builds a winning team, from culture and people, to processes and project execution. Projects influence across the company to empower and enable the team to deliver the right results in the right way.
- Ownership and Accountability: Takes full accountability for and drives results for portfolio x-functionally. Works across the organization top-to-bottom to get projects prioritized and efforts mobilized to ensure the necessary outcomes. Drives a mindset of accountability and ownership within their team, incl. establishing and holding stakeholders to an operating cadence.
- Technical Judgment: Technical leader and expert who can effectively guide and counsel their team and other senior leaders to make the right effort vs. impact tradeoff decisions. When called upon, can complete the first 30% of technical scoping (enough to inform t-shirt size execution options) for the most complex projects.
- Innovative Mindset: Develops strategies to bring new technologies, applications and process changes to life. Challenges the organization in innovating and designing new solutions, methods and products to remain competitive and lead the industry. Creates an environment that champions innovation by encouraging their team and others to openly share and build on each other's new ideas, products and solutions.
- High Standards: Expects personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Strategic Executor: Sees and evangelizes the big picture, but is disciplined in rationalizing our ambitious goals with realities of prioritization and day-to-day execution. Ensures their team executes seamlessly across Sunrun and outside the company. Drives top to bottom alignment on project and company-level priorities (when needed). Spearheads resolution of escalated blockers for the team.
- Customer Obsession: Has high degree of customer empathy and drive to understand customers; uses insight to guide product priorities and solution definition. Effective evangelist of design-led thinking across RUN.
- Product and business judgment: Contextualizes business decisions across company, industry and all stakeholders. Holds a balanced perspective with an appreciation for risks, rewards and execution. Effectively navigates ambiguity in decision making.
- Problem Solving: Quickly and effectively synthesizes and solves complex, interdependent problems, understanding the end-to-end business implications of decisions. Leverages insight to drive clarity throughout the org and bring along others (incl. senior execs and large groups of stakeholders) along in the process. Can articulate decisions, highlight risks and operate with a strong, balanced view of decisions.
- Communication and listening: Compelling storyteller. Succinctly and effectively delivers the point, with the right tone and content for the audience and the moment, incl. CEO and board-level audience. Commands the room by communicating simply, clearly and powerfully. Attentive listener who seeks to understand others and actively seeks to incorporate new information.
- Adaptability: adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; anticipates and copes effectively with the complexity of change
Please note that the compensation information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to acts, such as The Equal Pay Transparency Act. It assumes that the successful candidate will be located in markets within the United States that warrant the compensation listed. Candidates in locations outside this local area may have a different starting salary range for this opportunity which may be higher or lower. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.
The starting salary/wage for this opportunity is:
$216,565.00 to $259,851.00
Other rewards may include annual bonus eligibility, which is based on company and individual performance, short and long term incentives, and program-specific awards. Sunrun provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO). A candidate's salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.